Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Purpose Driven Life

I still haven't asked anyone else what their soul's purpose is.  Truth is I am kind of scared to do it.  It felt so icky to have those that I asked look at me like I was out of my mind. My little quest was causing others inconvenience.  I know eventually I need to man up and just ask someone anyone!  The truth is I find it interesting to hear their answers.
Like my nails?!

I have been reading this book in the meantime, A Purpose Driven Life.  It is highly religious. I am not.  Although the older I get the more open I am to having a relationship with God. Anyway I heard about the book from none other than Carrie Underwood's husband!  I was watching an interview they did together.  He said he tries to reread this book once a year. So he peaked my curiosity.  Here is this big hockey playing man who rereads the same book every year because he loves the book. The first chapter  of the book talks about a professor at Northeastern Illinois University who once wrote well known intellectuals in the world asking them, "What is the meaning of Life?" He then published their responses in a book.  He got answers like "I don't have a clue." (That sounds familiar to me!) Some said, "They made up an answer."  Others said, "Write me back when you find the answer!"

My thought, shit! If all these smarty pants can't answer then what?  My quest to find these answers has been asked a million times before.  Where do I go from here?  The book tells me to find my answer in God.  Give myself to him, and have him show me what I was created for... I am about 10 chapters in.  I like it.  It is just sometimes foreign to me. I didn't grow up in a religious home.  Although I believe in God.  So this is just part of the journey for me.  I am a bit of a control freak, and to give myself up to faith is a leap I haven't taken yet... Although I am open to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment